Choosing a concentration is a seminal moment in a student's academic journey at Harvard. Students in the fall term of their second year must submit a Declaration of Concentration by Thursday, November 19, 2020.
A captioned recording of the Choosing a Concentration Webinar (held on 10/8/20 at 4pm ET) is available on the Harvard College YouTube page. We are also sharing the presentation from the Webinar.
As students prepare to declare their concentrations, reflecting on the following considerations and discussing these aspects with their sophomore advisers will help guide the exploration and decision-making process:
Reflect on academic interests and long-term career goals
Think about the concentration experience, including (but not limited to) advising structure, research opportunities, required courses, thesis
Watch this webinar on building your advising network and choosing your concentration.
Map an 8 semester plan for completing concentration requirements (may be multiple if choosing between different concentrations). Consider sequencing and availability of courses, other academic plans (secondary field, citation, electives) and College Curriculum courses (General Education and Divisional Distribution requirements).
To learn more about the concentration requirements, declaring a concentration, or concentration advising, we recommend the following:
- Visit the Harvard College Handbook for Students
- Connect with pre-concentration advisers
- Explore Fields of Study information for pre-concentrators
- Check out concentration websites (linked on Fields of Study pages)
- Participate in concentration declaration events to learn about opportunities and experiences in the concentration, as well as the declaration procedure.
- Some concentrations require additonal actions in advance of completing the Declaration of Concentration form. A list of these concentrations can be found in this Google Doc
If you have further questions, we encourage students to connect with their sophomore advisers. The APO also has experienced advisers are available to talk with you about your coursework, concentration selection process, and other academic planning. Please sign up via our scheduling page.