- Learn About the Concentrations
- Making the Most Out of Exploring Fields of Study
- Exploring Concentrations and Secondaries
- Attending Fields of Study Sessions
Exploring Fields of Study is a program that provides the opportunity to explore concentrations and secondaries during the spring term of your first year. While you do not need to declare a concentration until November of your sophomore year, we want you to begin reflecting on your academic path now.
By the end of this semester, you will be required to meet with a concentration adviser or attend a Fields of Study Session. You will then document your experiences in my.harvard to share with advisers and to help you keep track of what you have learned. The deadline to submit your Advising Conversations Report is Monday, April 26, 2021.
We hope that you will explore many concentrations based on your academic interests, even if you feel confident about your concentration plans already. During this season of exploration, we encourage you to:
- Identify which concentrations you may be interested in.
- Meet with your academic adviser to discuss your concentration interests and determine what questions you might have about the concentration. Not sure where to start? Unsure of what questions to ask concentration advisers? Check out this interactive planning exercise to guide you through your reflections.
- Attend Fields of Study Sessions or office hours to learn more about each concentration Check out the College Calendar channel dedicated to the Schedule of Fields of Study Sessions
- Document your conversation or experience in the Advising Conversation Report in my.harvard by Monday, April 16, 2021.
Beginning the week of February 8, the Yard Bulletin will feature an Exploring Fields of Study section that will highlight particular academic areas. These field weeks will showcase interconnected disciplines by highlighting joint events and ways to connect with those concentrations. The full schedule is available here.
During the spring term, each concentration will host Fields of Study Sessions where you can hear from and speak with faculty, advisers, and peers about the structure of the concentration and the intellectual community you will be joining. You can find all concentration events on the College Calendar Channel dedicated to Exploring Fields of Study.