Brief Description of Concentration
Chemical and Physical Biology provides a link between classical approaches to studying biology and the chemical tools and physical methods required to understand dynamic changes in complex biological systems.
The Chemical and Physical Biology (CPB) concentration has several learning objectives, a few of which are listed below:
- Tackle biological problems using an integrated approach involving physical, chemical, quantitative, and computational skills
- Apply the scientific method to solve problems, both in and out of the lab
- Critically review scientific literature and evidence
- Math: Starting as recommended, up to Math 19A,B/Math 21A,B/Applied Math 21A,B or equivalent
- Chemistry: General chemistry PS1/PS10/PS11/CHEM 40
- Life sciences: either LS 1a (or LPSA) and LS 1b, or LS50
- MCB 60 and MCB 63/64/65/68
- Organic chemistry starting with CHEM 17/CHEM 20
The CPB concentration is intended primarily for students considering careers in research.